Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Camp Pontiac


This past weekend I went with my family to Copake, NY and participated on the Starlight Children's Foundation gathering at Camp Pontiac. I met new friends and had a blast. There is nothing like surrounding yourself with genuine positive people who also defy so many odds... while smiling. Here's a look at what went on. Enjoy!
 



We arrived on Friday afternoon. There was adventure and drama through the voyage as upon reaching Copake, NY the GPS would not show the location... After some phone calls we arrived safe and sound.



We were in a cabin of 2 rooms joined by a bathroom. I took one room and mommy, daddy and my sis took the other one. All my stuff took up my space very quickly. We all went to the Dining Hall and had a nice dinner. We met other families, and a camp fire was in schedule... but we had to go back to the cabin as I was falling asleep and my sister was also very tired and cranky. The night was chilly but manageable.



 I got up bright and early on Saturday. After my respiratory therapy everyone was ready to enjoy the day! We had a hearty breakfast and then went out and about.




We headed for the Arts & Crafts section and spend some time coloring and beading. My sister found joy in using markers for the first time. I painted some designs in a ball, and then started beading a necklace... but soon it was lunchtime and we had to get back to the Dining Hall.




The camp's layout is almost like a tiny town. I really liked the open space, the pure breeze, no sirens, everyone smiling! What a difference from urban life!
 


Someone offered to take a picture, so here we are! Usually mommy seems missing in action, but it is because she is snapping the pics. It is nice to see all of us together at least once in a while!



After lunch I was quite curious about the zip line and the lake. We all headed that way. Mommy took me "cross-country" through the grass. So much green! Green everywhere! Just like my hometown, San Germán...




We arrived at the "Outdoor Adventure" station... where people fly and do crazy stuff. My sister kept saying all the letters on all signs... Cute, but after a while I wished she would stop. I don't get why she just did not read the whole word...




Kali had her first swing experience. I wished I could do so... I know someday soon I will swing too.
 



I kept rolling across the field, following my sister and the ball that she captured. That was fun. I love feeling the wind as speed increases... Mommy got quite a workout pushing my wheelchair! Yup, her root canal did not stop her!





And while we were having fun around the field and bordering the lake, Daddy decided he would try the zip line... And so he got up there... to fly!






 That flying thing is not for me. I was glad to see he landed well... Me, I rather be well grounded. Mommy also agrees on that.


Here's the video of the flight, proof of Daddy's courage...


After the flying Daddy event, it was time to go have some food. We met other families and kids... Now, that was quite en experience.




It was almost 7pm, and I was getting ready for bed. So we all headed to the cabin for my respiratory session... It all takes two hours. I wish I could have gone to see the movie with all other kids, but I was beat. I really needed the rest...



My sister waited contently while playing in the VReader. Gotta love Elmo.
 


Here's a peak at my nightly treatment... Daddy is coughing me.


And here he is using the ambu. As usual.


 Mommy took my sister for a walk while I slept. I heard that they went to a dark area were they could actually see the stars! Oh, another thing that I missed... At least I remember the stars from my hometown... but still... (Sigh) I also hope I can see the stars soon. You just can't do so in Newark, it is so polluted... That's why I love the Planetarium. After that there was also ice-cream (my parents are crazy, eating ice-cream with the chilly weather!), and then everyone went to join me in my slumber.


Sunday morning came really fast, and we all gathered at the Dining Hall. Here's some pictures of the ceiling... They are paintings from the camp Summer groups. Apparently they divide in team White and Team red... These are just way cool!









Here I am, taking a last glimpse at everything. Saying goodbye to such a peaceful place was hard... My family does not belong in the city... I know I don't. I am so happy we made this trip! It is good to be reminded of all the awesome things that God created... and that so many take for granted...




I will miss the people I met here... Mommy could not snap many pictures because my sister was too rambunctious at all times and kept distracting her... but I won't forget their faces. I will see you all again, and then we will make up for what I could not do.



As we got in the van, Kali was asleep. I was happy for that, for that would mean a peaceful journey back to the so-called "civilization"...



This is usually the way I see things... through the rear view window. I looked away, saying silent goodbyes and feeling so grateful and at peace! I know that somehow I felt renewed.



And hopefully this farewell will be just for now... I know I gotta come back. I gotta see the campfire, and I gotta see the stars! That is my next quest. Until then... more adventures around my river bend!




GOD: Thank you for showing me a piece of You in so many families that I met. Thank you for allowing me to be healthy and endure the weather, and for surrounding me with the right people to lift my spirit! Thank you for all blessings, big and small... for my family, and for everyone who touches my life. Amen.

No comments: